, ,

1001

Thursday, November 15, 2007 Leave a Comment

I think it's important to challenge the choices you make in your life -- figure out why you've made the choices you have. I haven't always been good at that, although in the past few years I've been getting better. Here's a big one that I feel like I'm constantly closer being able to answer: Why did I choose theatre?

Tonight, Kelly and I went to go see Jason Grote's new play 1001. Without making this a review, I'll say that the play, produced by Page 73 Productions, reminded me of one of my reasons. It's something that's unique to theatre -- the ability to manipulate a space, and therefore an audience, over time in order to tell a story.


Photo Credit: Evan Sung for http://www.1001nyc.com
Set Design: Rachel Hauck
Lighting Design: Tyler Micoleau
Costume Design: Murell Horton

If you've ever been to a performance by Cirque du Soleil, you know what I'm talking about. They consistently do it better than anyone I've seen. What was remarkable -- and inspiring -- is to see spectacle like that on the off-Broadway level. Let me clarify my use of the word 'spectacle' -- it wasn't about the money put into effects. It's a prime example of skilled theatre artists using simple tools to create something remarkable.

It's something to strive for.

I won't ever have an absolute answer to the question of why I'm in theatre... there will always be new plays, and new people, to inspire me that will no doubt keep my answer fluid. That's pretty awesome. One thing you will find is that I will always be willing to talk about it. So next time we're hanging out -- if you think of it -- tell me some of the reasons you chose theatre - assuming for a moment that's what you've chosen.

There's nothing I like better than sharing a beer and hearing a person's story.

0 comments »