"Theatre People Are Cool!"

Monday, December 3, 2007 Leave a Comment

Last night Flux hosted our inaugural Food:Soul. The food was provided by Flux members (as well as a Flux mother and some old and new Friends of Flux); the soul came from a reading of Adam Szymkowicz's beautiful play, Pretty Theft, directed by Heather Cohn. More on that and all the fantastic people that came out for the event in a later post, I'm sure.

But first - a story.

Today I was carrying some music stands used during the reading back up 7th Avenue. As I maneuvered through the crowd with my fairly awkward load, a man walking near me made the following observation:

"You must work in a restaurant."

Brief pause as I tried to follow his logic:

"..."

Failing, I told him that in fact I work in theatre.

"Awwww, man! Theatre people are cool!"

As I continued walking I thought about some of the fantastic theatre producers and various industry folk I had a chance to chat with last night. It was then I recognized the wisdom that had been passed my way from a man I had written off as crazy.

Theatre people are cool.

Thanks everyone for coming out.

And thank you slightly-less-crazy-than-I-initially-thought-man-on-the-street for pointing out this simple truth.

0 comments »