Imagination Compact Artists Reveal #22--David Ian Lee
What is The Imagination Compact?
And how can I learn more about Flux's Midsummer?
David Ian Lee
Actor, The Lovers, May 12th
Flux History: Flux Sunday regular as actor, director and playwright; plays developed include Sleeper and Dog Show
1. What is your favorite Shakespeare play?
Tough call. Possibly Two Gentlemen of Verona, though Hamlet will laways hold a special place in my heart.
2. What is your favorite line of text?
Top three (I'm bad at choosing)
HAMLET: There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
CHIRON: Thou hast undone our mother.
AARON: Villain, I have done thy mother.
JAQUES: I can suck melancholy out of a song as a weasel sucks eggs.
3. Does Shakespeare influence your writing at all?
No doubt unconsciously: His work is profuse and masterful, and if you take into account his ghost-edit of the King James Bible, Shakespeare's writing has likely had more influence on Western literary culture than any wordsmith imaginable. And, come to think of it, the play I'm working on is a revenge-thriller in the Five Act model, so...
4. if you had to date one of the Midsummer lovers,
whom would you date and why?
5. What is the first thing you think of when you hear the word 'Flux'?
6. Fairies: Colorful playmates or dangerous tricksters?
How about dangerous playmates? Ain't that the best kind?
7. Complete this sentence: "It's too late to go back now,
I'll just have to do without my _____"
8. If a capricious fairy turned you into an animal against your will,
what animal you be and why?
Hmmm...well if its against my will, I suppose it'd have to be something
that I really have no interest in being...mollusks seem to have a tough life.
Nope, don't want that. So...I'm going with mollusk.
9. Would you rather have a beer with Richard Burbage or William Kemp?
Kemp, though amusing, would no doubt start to be a pain in the arse after a while.
10. If we could compact your imagination, what color would it be, and why?
Not sure of the color, but I'm sure it would be sticky.