, , ,

Divine Reckonings Artists Reveal #1:
James Comtois

Sunday, March 21, 2010 Leave a Comment

What is Jacob's House?
What is ForePlay: Divine Reckonings?

James Comtois
Playwright, DR#1: Secrets and Lies


Previous Flux Experience: Wrote "Joseph and Cotton" for Flux's "Poetic Larceny;" participated in Flux Sundays.


Are you blessed?

I feel quite blessed to have met the folks at Flux (cue the "Awwwwwwww" and "(gag)").


If you were wrestling an angel, what moves would you use?
I'd have to fight dirty, wouldn't I? I mean, let's be honest: I'm gonna lose this match. Let's not kid ourselves here. So I'd have to use as many unsanctioned moves as possible. No, wait! Is this a friendly wrestling match with an angel pal? If it is, and if angels exist, then so does hell, presumably. Now that I think of it, it may not be best to cheat.

What would you do for more life?
I'd gladly trade yours in for more life. Just kidding. I really have no idea. How much life are we talking about? I think the angel would have to make an offer. Because I'd feel really stupid if I decided to rob a bank or sacrifice a virgin for more life, and the angel was thinking more along the lines of, "going to church" or "eating more greens."

What's the weirdest thing in your parents' attic?

My dad has a collection of santa dolls that come out every Christmas. I'm not just talking about 3 or 4. I'm talking, like, 20 or 30, in all different shapes and sizes. There's even an "American" Santa up there, riding a motorcycle and wearing an American flag top hat. It's...weird.


What is your prior experience with the Old Testament?

Aside from having read reading Genesis, and the Books of Job, Jonah and Ezekiel, pretty limited.


If you believe in a deity or deities, what kind do you believe in?
Wow. So we've gone from asking about wrestling angels to deeply personal religious views, I see. All right. My views are pretty agnostic. I suppose I believe in God, but beyond that I don't have many juicy details. If He exists, I suspect He's pretty hands-off in our silly humanimal affairs. But then again this is coming from someone who has limited experience reading the Torah.


Anything else coming up for you that Flux readers should know about?

Well, I did just plug this in my bio, but why not reiterate it? I have a new play coming up called The Little One, Nosedive's 10th Anniversary production, at the Kraine Theatre on East 4th Street from June 10 through July 10. It's about vampires. Lady vampires. You should go.

Bio: James Comtois is co-founder of Nosedive Productions, which was named as one of nytheatre.com's "People of the Year" in 2009. Plays include The Adventures of Nervous-Boy, Colorful World, and Infectious Opportunity. His latest play, The Little One, a vampire tale, will go up at the Kraine Theatre this summer.

0 comments »