, , ,

Divine Reckonings Artists Reveal #3:
Rob Ackerman

Friday, March 26, 2010 Leave a Comment

What is Jacob's House?
What is ForePlay: Divine Reckonings?

Rob Ackerman
Playwright, ForePlay

Previous Flux Experience:

Have been to many Flux Sundays, had a scene in a Have Another, spent a day at a Flux retreat, and Volleygirls had the honor of being featured as a Food:Soul. (Also, Dear China and Human Resources were featured in the ForePlays Imagination Compact and Poetic Larceny, respectively.)

Do you have a favorite Bible character?
Hagar. And who's Hagar? You'll find out.

Are you blessed?
Absolutely. The English etymology of the word involves blood used in consecration. In French, it's the word for a wound, and that's a factor for me too. I consider myself fortunate for and wounded by love and work.

If you were wrestling an angel, what moves would you use?
Reversals.

What would you do for more life?
Live more passionately.

What's the weirdest thing in your parents' attic?
My love letters from college.

What is your prior experience with the Old Testament?
I sang in choir so I was in church almost every Sunday when most of my friends were in bed sleeping off hangovers. The preacher read Old Testament passages to the congregation. Sometimes I liked what I heard, and sometimes I wanted to stand up and do battle with it. The Old Testament is harsh. It's not for the faint of heart.

If you believe in a deity or deities, what kind do you believe in?
I believe that God exists within every person. I know that to be true. You wanna fight about it?

Anything else coming up for you that Flux readers should know about?
I'm working on this play for Flux and it's pulsing in my blood as I write. Not sure how it's gonna turn out. And that's fun.

ROB ACKERMAN (Playwright) wrote Tabletop (2001 Drama Desk Award, Best Ensemble), Disconnect (produced by The Working Theater in 2005), Origin of the Species (made into a feature film starring Amanda Peet), Icarus of Ohio (staged at NYU's Tisch School). Volleygirls (commissioned by ACT), and Call Me Waldo (workshopped at the Lark Play Development Center last month).

0 comments »