,

Zack Calhoon's Visible Soul on Angel Eaters

Monday, November 17, 2008 Leave a Comment

Talented playwright and actor (and recent Flux Sunday recipient) Zack Calhoon gave the first play in the trilogy a really nice shout out on his blog, Visible Soul - you can check it out here or read on below!

*********************************
(Photo: Justin Hoch. Pictured: Cotton Wright)

Angel Eaters

by Zack Calhoon
As evidenced by my last post, I had the great honor of seeing one of the most dynamic new theatrical voices of the 1990's: Sarah Kane. I thought it would be pretty hard to top an experience like that for some time, but tonight I saw one of the most exciting young playwright's writing in New York right now: Johnna Adams. It was the perfect compliment to a wonderful weekend of theatregoing. Rarely has a play kept the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end for entire 90 minutes. I'm absolutely dying to see the second and third installments of the Angel Eaters Trilogy being presented by Flux Theatre Ensemble through Thursday.

I'm actually at a loss to describe how deeply Ms. Adams's soulful poetry affected me. I was especially struck by the desperation that permeates this theatrical feast. I was especially moved by a young little powerhouse actress named Marnie Schulenberg and the spine tingling stage presence of Cotton Wright. Ms. Schulenberg's riveting performance as the "simple-minded" and spiritually gifted Joann moved me to tears on more than one occasion. Although every single character was imbued with deep desperation and wonderful humor. I absolutely loved this show. She made me want to go home and write!

I never thought I'd say this twice in one day, but:

Run, don't walk, to see these shows!

(Photo: Justin Hoch. Pictured: Tiffany Clementi, Gregory Waller)

0 comments »