, , ,

Divine Reckonings Artists Reveal #8:
Crystal Skillman

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 Leave a Comment

What is Jacob's House?
What is ForePlay: Divine Reckonings?

Crystal Skillman
Playwright, ForePlay

Previous Flux Experience:

I wrote the short play Geek, set at the San Diego Comic Con, for last year’s Poetic Larceny Series and I’m happy to announce it will be published in Poems & Plays 2010 this Spring! This fall I got to workshop The Sleeping World, my full length about four playwrights who come together to read their dead friend’s unfinished last play, at Flux Sundays. A scene from the play was featured this year in the awesome Have Another at Jimmy’s No. 43 this past January.

Do you have a favorite Bible character?

I gotta say the Devil always steals the show. Literally – have you seen Damn Yankees?

Are you blessed?

Not sure about that, but I have a pretty great gut instinct about things. Maybe that’s a blessing?

If you were wrestling an angel, what moves would you use?

I’d totally ninja kick the shit out of that angel until he/she was like “I respect you”. Hugs. Then drinking buddies for life!

What would you do for more life?

Go back in time. That’s the best way to do it. All I have to do is find Superman (the MOVIE Superman) and be like, “Look man – that thing when you turned the globe around that pissed off all the comic book fans cuz it was way too much power? Do that for me please!” Thanks Sup!

What's the weirdest thing in your parents' attic?

No attic, but a kick-booty basement which was full of: my dad’s racing trophies, huge electronic speed-way racing set with glow-in-the dark cars and railings, and my name was written on the back wall in huge red letters from a bday party when I was like 5. There also was a place for our motorcycle helmets with our pet names, from when I was a kid. You can’t make this stuff up. My mom’s pet name is Pickle, mine was Peanut (?!) and my dad’s was less imaginative - just: Russ. Later in high school when I refused to go to any proms, we had alternative goth-like parties there. But peppy ones. We were happy Goths.

What is your prior experience with the Old Testament?

Really I just know the Adam and Eve story well (from the musical The Apple Tree … where again the Devil steals the show – have you heard that song “Forbidden Fruit” the snake sings? Those Sheldon Harnick lyrics! Genius!)

If you believe in a deity or deities, what kind do you believe in?

I believe in the power of comics so: Spiderman. (Sorry Sup L - love you!)

Anything else coming up for you that Flux readers should know about?

I guess I am blessed cuz The Vigil or the Guided Cradle, my play about torture between now and then, is being produced April 22nd – May 8th by Impetuous Theater Group in a rockin’ co-production w/ and at The Brick Theater. It’s directed by John Hurley (who directed my play Hack for the Vampire Cowboys Saloon, as well as Johnna Adams’ Lickspittles reading for Flux)! Hope you will come check it out! Tix/More info here: http://www.impetuoustheater.org/Home.html

And if you come the first weekend, I’ll totally put in a good word with Spiderman!

Bio: In addition to the above, Crystal Skillman is the author of the plays Birthday, Nobody, and The Telling Trilogy (Rising Phoenix Rep, Dir. Daniel Talbott). She’s been commissioned by Vampire Cowboys to write a new full length that will be produced by the company in an upcoming season.

http://www.google.com/profiles/crystalskillman

0 comments »