, , ,

Introducing Flux's Newest Member, Will Lowry

Thursday, September 15, 2011 Leave a Comment

Perhaps you remember this set from Ajax in Iraq:
there was a lot of sand, too. and a giant map.
 Or this set, from The Lesser Seductions of History:
circles!
Or this set and costumes from A Midsummer Night's Dream:
how young we all were!
What do all these things have in common? Their designer, Will Lowry, who despite his modest protestations to the contrary is also an excellent performer, as proven by his frequent work at Flux Sundays and our most recent retreat:
pictured: rocking it out
Why are we bringing all this up now? Because Will Lowry is Flux's newest member! So if you see him at a Flux Sunday, or just gallivanting about town, you should say hi. Perhaps buy him a beer.

We could tell you all about him, but rather than do that, we'll let Will tell you all about himself:
I'm absolutely excited to be welcomed into the fold as a Flux member. There are many great people to work with in the theatre community, but it's rare to find such a group where the members are dedicated to such high artistic integrity. Flux chooses challenging material, they have a network of active and supportive volunteers, and they are a pleasure to work with. You may heatedly debate the specific shade of a chair or cut of a dress for an hour, but you know it's because they truly care about each and every artistic choice. Their passion for theatre is inspiring, and I feel truly honored to join as an official member. 

I grew up in South Carolina with parents who were both educators and very supportive when I discovered theatre in high school and wanted to pursue it in college. A few years later, I graduated with a BA from Furman University with a double major in Theatre Arts and Computer Science. While I had started college intending on becoming an actor, after about halfway through I had fallen completely in love with the design side of theatre. I couldn't seem to choose a favorite between the different facets of design, so instead I embraced that indecision: I selected a graduate program focused on scenography where I could study set, costume, and lighting design. And, in 2006 I graduated from the University of North Carolina Greensboro with an MFA in Design. I spent a year as a resident designer for a children's theater near San Jose, CA before moving to New York, where I've now lived for just a couple weeks shy of four years. 

I work full-time in the city as a studio assistant for a Broadway costume designer. I also do freelance graphic work for costume designers in NYC and travel for my own designs in regional theaters. My recent projects include scene designs for Flux's very own Ajax in Iraq here in NYC, Birmingham Children Theater's Tuxedo Junction in Alabama, Celebration Music Theater's Superstarz! Live and The Palace Theater's Blithe Spirit-both in South Carolina; in addition to a lighting design for Playhouse on Park's Around the World in 80 Days in Connecticut (in previews now!), a costume design for Le Grand Cirque: Adrenaline for the Sydney Opera House in Australia, and graphic work for Broadway's Addams Family, Baby It's You, and Catch Me If You Can.

Kelly also suggested I write what I do for fun, so in my free moments away from theatre, I enjoy drinking with friends and talking about theatre anyway, playing board games that most people would consider incredibly geeky, reading about television shows, and dinosaurs.
-Will Lowry
Welcome aboard, Will! We are as thrilled to have you on board as we could possibly be, and hope you will protect us if and when the dinosaurs rise again. Here's to many more years of rubber sand, giant circles, PVC trees, and brilliantly executed hip-hop!

photos: Tyler G. Hicks-Wright (Lesser Seductions), Isaiah Tanenbaum (all others)

0 comments »