,

Imagination Compact Artists Reveal #11--Joe Mathers

Saturday, April 19, 2008 Leave a Comment

What is The Imagination Compact?
How can I learn more about Flux's Midsummer?

Joe Mathers

Playwright, The Fairies, April 28th

Previous Flux History: Founding Member of Flux, roles include Siles in Rue, light design for Life is a Dream, Jesus design for Riding the Bull, and playing Fibber in the upcoming 8 Little Antichrists

1. What is your favorite Shakespeare play?
Much Ado About Nothing - For me, it's the perfect mix
of wit, humor, romance and evil. That wedding scene is
one of the most brutal things I've ever read/seen/performed/directed.

2. What is your favorite line of text?
"Hang him, Jack! Come, we'll in here;
tarry for the mourners, and stay dinner."
Hugh Rebeck (2nd Musician) in Romeo and Juliet.

3. Does Shakespeare influence your writing at all?
I speak english. That's like asking if Dante influenced an
Italian writer.

4. If you had to date one of the Midsummer lovers,
whom would you date and why?
If I had to date one of the lovers, I'd date the shorter one. I'm not a
tall guy.

5. What is the first thing you think of when you
hear the word "flux"?
Solder and welding.

6. Fairies: colorful playmates or dangerous tricksters?
Dangerous playmates.

7. If the Flux Capacitor made time travel possible
when the DeLorean reached 88mph, what do you
think would happen if Flux Theatre Ensemble got theatre
up to 88mph?
At 88 mph, the core membership of the Flux Theatre Ensemble
would generate maybe 5.5 million joules of inertial energy.
I'm no physicist but the possibility of FTL travel from 5.5 million
joules seems way out of reach. The Delorian's Flux Capacitor was
powered by a small fission reactor, not just inertial energy.
So, if the ensemble were to get me oh, I don't know... say...
5.3 kg of 239 PU, encased in magnesium sand, I could
definitely put on one hell of a show. Minimum safe distance for the
performance would be about 12 miles. But I'm no physicist.

8. Complete this sentence: "It's too late to go back now, I'll just have to
do without my _______"
histories of the golden age of piracy.

9. If a capricious fairy turned you into an animal against your will, what
animal would you be and why?
A mountain ram; sometimes I'm just banging my head
into things and I can't discern why.

10. Which would win in a fight - the forest of Midsummer or the forest of
Arden?
Arden had an organized military force hanging around
in it with a fertility god. Midsummer's forest had a
bunch of poncy Athenians and some faeries.
You do the math.

11. How many licks does it take...?
About 83, but they have to be done right. And if you're busy counting
we'll never get there.

12. Would you rather have a beer with Richard Burbage
or William Kemp?
Burbage. Yeah, Kempe was the funny guy but I feel like
he'd be "on" the whole time, dancing around and crap,
and that would get exhausting. Plus,
Burbage would be good for a couple of rounds, you know?

10. If we could compact your imagination, what color would it be
and why?
My imagination would be dark bluish green. My imagination has a way of
taking things as they are and covering them in stuff usually reserved for
H.P. Lovecraft. Most people don't even know what I'm talking about half of
the time. It's OK. I don't mind.

0 comments »